Here at the Center for Sacred Window Studies, we share voices from many perspectives and backgrounds. We believe that the sacred weeks post birth, and the experience of humanity is experienced in countless ways. We learn by listening to one another and honoring our stories. The views and opinions of our writers do not necessarily reflect the mission, viewpoints or opinions of the Center for Sacred Window Studies.
originally published 3/18/20
last updated 4/16/20
Here at the Center for Sacred Window Studies, we are uniting together to provide extra support to parents (especially expecting + postpartum) and caregivers/doulas in this time of social and global uncertainty and stress.
Our intention with our response measures is to support expecting and postpartum parents, as well as perinatal/postpartum professionals (doulas) even more deeply in these trying times, while at the same time continuing to nourish and deeply care for ourselves and our families as we all adjust to tremendous change and facing the unknown.
Letter from the Director | Christine Devlin Eck
These are uncharted waters, and with new journeys that threaten our safety and well being, comes varying amounts of stress and fear. As we all navigate through this crisis we are called upon to make new rules, new routines, and new efforts to restore safety and balance. I am heartened and comforted by the love and kindness I witness daily in neighbors looking out for neighbors, representatives looking out for constituents, and families finding a way….
We can’t control a lot, but we CAN control how we direct ourselves in these moments. Remember – there is SO much that can be done in the small routines of our day, in the way we eat, the way we breathe, the words we speak….
Humans will take care of humans when crisis hits, and that is what so many of you are doing.
Our mission is to:
- Provide aid to birthing families in the way of information, virtual guidance and consultation for free or low cost, and a circle of support to connect with others, process the changes and situations being navigated and ultimately know you are not alone.
- Provide support to doulas/caregivers in the way of updated information and virtual community support – gathering together to share thoughts and experiences while exploring our own self care is vital to feeling centered during this time.
- Enable students to pursue their online education in Ayurveda and Postpartum Care.
Please read on to find out the details of our actions in support of everyone in the birth, caregiving and learning communities.
Be well and remember to look for the helpers…they are out there….
Our main support efforts at this time are as follows:
- Offering a brand new DIY Ayurvedic Postpartum Care for Expecting Parents course
- Increasing accessibility to our current offerings through adapting pricing & payment plans
- Increasing our complimentary & pay-as-you-can community offerings – including virtual Expecting & Postpartum Parents’ Circles and Doula Support Circles
- Virtual Doula Services from the CSWS team, offered on a sliding scale
- Quality Resources for Doulas & Birthers – an up-to-date collection of relevant online publications
- CSWS Virtual Support Database of students/alumni currently offering online support for expecting and postpartum parents
1. DIY AYURVEDIC POSTPARTUM CARE FOR EXPECTING PARENTS
Our brand new course for expecting parents guides birthers & couples in gathering skills, wisdom, and resources to enter the Sacred Postpartum Window in confidence. Participants in this course will receive a complimentary copy of the Touching Heaven volumes: Tonic Postpartum Care & Cookbook and access to a Volunteer Virtual Postpartum Doula who has graduated from our beloved APC program.
Our first session begins April 21st.
2. INCREASING ACCESSIBILITY TO THE APC PROGRAM
Enrollment Support for the Spring Cohort – We have decided to extend the Early Bird Tuition rate throughout the enrollment window for this cohort only. In addition, we have added an extended payment plan to help make your participation more feasible.
Independent Study Option – This is a study avenue we have wanted to bring you since the beginning. This option will offer increased flexibility for completing your studies at your own pace. Independent Study will be available beginning May 1, 2020.
3. FREE SUPPORT CIRCLES + PAY-AS-YOU-CAN YOGA CLASSES
Support Circles for Parents
Join Nena for weekly Pregnancy & Postpartum Support Circles. This is a great time to share your experience, learn about supportive resources, and connect with other parents. Each Circle will last approximately one hour.
Expecting Parents Support Circle: Fridays at 12pm Eastern beginning March 20th. Register Here.
Sacred Window Parents / Postpartum Support Circle: Fridays at 2pm Eastern beginning March 20th. Register Here.
Doula/Caregiver Support Circles
Christine and members of the Center for Sacred Window Studies instructing team will offer a Doula Support Circle on Saturdays at 3pm Eastern beginning March 21st. This circle is specifically for supporting each other as caregivers with virtual community, concerns and self-care. Register Here. Circles will be hosted by Zoom web conferencing. Participate from anywhere!
These Support Circles will continue for at least 6 consecutive weeks.
Pay-As-You-Can Yoga Classes with Nena
Drop-in virtual yoga classes for all levels. No prior experience required.
Prenatal Yoga: Wednesdays at 2:00 PM Eastern. Register here.
Postnatal Yoga: Wednesdays at 3:15 PM Eastern. Register here.
Yoga for Doulas: Fridays at 3:15 PM Eastern. Register here.
4. VIRTUAL DOULA SERVICES FROM THE CSWS TEAM
Each of us here at the Center for Sacred Window Studies is offering our one-to-one doula support services on a sliding scale. Use these services to support your preparation for the sacred postpartum window, or get support with concerns about your pregnancy, birth or postpartum time. Ideal for birthers and partners, gathering the family community is vital and a doula can support with the gift of awareness, information and resources! You will be asked to use a credit card to hold the appointment. Sliding scale $25-$65 per hour.
5. QUALITY RESOURCES FOR DOULAS & BIRTHERS
This is a short list of top resources to support doulas and birthers who will be attending or giving birth soon or are in other ways supporting birthers during this time.
- Virtual Postpartum Care // Sacred Window Blog Post
- COVID-19 Resources – Cristen Pascucci // Birth Monopoly
- Coronavirus COVID-19 | Evidence Based Birth® Resource Page
- Birthing in the Time of COVID-19: A Free Birth Class on YouTube
- COVID-19 & Doulas – DONA International Recommendations
- Birth Professionals Go Virtual – Emily Fontes // Bloom Birth Professionals
- Marketing & Selling Virtual Perinatal Services – Emily Fontes // Bloom Birth Professionals
- Childbirth International – Infection Control and Prevention Course
- EBB 121 – Evidence on COVID-19 and Pregnancy and Birth (Podcast with Rebecca Dekker on 3/25)
- Living Ayurveda: Building Immunity in Home & Heart – A Downloadable Guide
- Professional Breastfeeding Support
- Sex After Baby Webinar Series – free access to recorded webinars on relevant topics for postpartum parents!
- Mother Love Redefined: A Revolutionary Guide to a Blissful Postpartum (free download)
6. VIRTUAL SUPPORT DATABASE – CSWS ALUMNI
The providers listed here are not employed by the Center for Sacred Window Studies. They are all independent caregivers/doulas. Everyone on this list is either an alumni or student of the Ayurvedic Postpartum Caregiver Program. Please contact caregivers directly to learn more about their services & background/qualifications. Please note that only virtual offerings are listed here.
Cassie Ballard // Our Seva
Our Seva Motherhood Circle is a private Facebook group for women navigating the many unspoken spaces of motherhood. Collectively, we are forging deeper dialogue around maternal mental health, cultural expectations, shifting identities, taboo topics, and our sacred service to motherhood.
- Queen Bee Experience: Customized Sacred Window care plan, support, & organization of your care network including meal planning, daily wellness check-ins, recipes, a healthy atmosphere of rest for mom and baby, guidance for your partner to provide you with abhyanga, and more.
- Free consultation to see if the Queen Bee Experience is the right fit for you
20 min free talks (9 am – 5 pm CST) // review or Q & A based on 15+ years experience in Ayurvedic postpartum care
Krsna Jivani // Bhakti Botanica
Ayurvedic Postpartum Preparation:
- Free Initial consultation with basic education on Ayurvedic view on postpartum
- Full consultation including personalized meal plan, daily dinacharya (daily schedule), recipes and grocery lists (or how to craft postpartum meals with what you have in stock at your house currently), instruction on self-abhyanga (massage) and baby massage
- Postpartum Herbals for order, while supplies last. (dashmula, panchakola ghee, sweetwater lactation tea, herbal baths, etc.)
Lynnea Laessig // Healing Birth, Mama Tuki
- Birth Story Integration sessions // www.healingbirth.net
- Mama Tuki Virtual Community – online support community for moms
Maureen Zwierzynski // Lotus Mother Care
- 20 min initial complimentary consultation
- Postpartum Planning
- Nutritional Guidance
- New Mother Mentoring
- Mindfulness & Relaxation Techniques
Megan Mata // Doula Meg Birth Services
- Childbirth education
- Lactation consulting services
- Birth Doula Support
- Postpartum Doula Services
- Postpartum Recovery and Meal Plan
- Newborn Care Class
Samantha Veitch // E:merging Wisdom Care
- Complementary discovery session
- Postpartum prep consulting
- Remote postpartum consulting and weekly plant based ayurvedic meal plans
- Herbals by post
- Sitz bath and yoni steam herb packs
Sara Emmitt // Rasa Sāra Ayurveda
Ayurvedic doula (for birth and postpartum), Ayurvedic health counselor, Ceremonialist, Musician. Offering free workshops and 30 minute initial consultations.